Curious about what might be different about an Australian Toastmasters meeting, I went along tonight to the Robina (Gold Coast) club. First thing I noticed is that there were a lot more Australians. Second thing I noticed was the standard of the speeches was a lot higher than in our club - looks like we have some work to do. And, the third thing I noticed was that the meeting was run quite formally - surprising for supposedly ''laid back'' Australia.
As expected, meeting structure was very similar with prepared speeches first, followed by table topics and a break. After the break were the evaluations and facilitators reports. Another interesting thing I noticed was that members gave two of the prepared speech speakers a standing ovation - something that I've never seen at a Hong Kong meeting.
I got to introduce myself at the beginning and to give some comments before the end of the meeting. Managed to get a laugh and some publicity for our club. If you are travelling, and have a spare evening, I'd encourage you to visit a meeting. Speaking to new people forces you out of the comfort zone and you might just learn something new or meet some new friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment