Hi! This is Stephen Li. I'm invited to write something in HKTM Blog and have been absolutely into this job.
As some of you probably remember in my Project-1 speech talking about myself weeks ago, I mentioned that I'm in the group who enjoys travelling and sharing. Certainly writing blogs is one of my favourite pastimes that I do regularly (but all were in Chinese, never tried English one).
By telling people (known or not) my life experience, mindflows, thoughts, witnesses over special events, even some incidents I went through, I believe it is a great way to communicate with others, yet not the perfect! The perfect one in my view now is, speaking to others by face-face communication, verbally convey your thoughts and information before people, for it's more efficient, very immediate, also can be very interesting because of the interactions involved, challenges in spontaneous responses. In this techno-charged era, one unchanged universal truth is, people still prefer to get information face to face. Won't you agree?
I used to be quite frightened of this way, I mean F-F-comm. Either in my mother tongue or another language, I just couldn't manage doing it well. The main problem I figured out was that I worried too much about my language fluency or usage, eye contacts, facial expressions, etc., lots of trivial elements. I wanted to be perfect in communication, but that's impossible (at least not at this stage). Therefore, all those factors hindered myself from smooth communication with others, and it happened so many times that I was very frustrated, discouraged, overwhelmed by the failures I personally reckoned in some F-F-Comm. Eventually I found myself only comfortable in ways of linking outside world via e-ways, like phone calls, emails, online chatting, blogs etc.. The more mistakes you're afraid to make, the less virtual F-F-Comm you'll put in efforts, and the consequence will be you only dwell in own house to touch out via invisible ways, which is absolutely pitiful. But with joining Toastmaster club, things are gradually changed. Those existing issues are still there, yet my attitude is transformed. 'Be my guest!, I say to my anxieties, 'I don't worry about you anymore, I want to stand up and speak out...' By contrast, my concern is subtly changed to, how can I communicate with others more effectively and more into profound level (other than staying on surface only).
Toastmaster Club is one of the best treasures I discovered during my stay in HKG. It's my great fortune joining it as a regular member, and got plenty opportunities in knowing nice, friendly people here, participation of speech project, facilitating work, as well as having lots of sharing with one another, getting acquainted, even did hiking together once. The best part I mean to express is, this is only the beginning of my TM life, I'm expecting to go and check the Toastmaster club back home later on (Fyi, there's one running in downtown of Tianjin, also in English). If things go well, surely I will be joining the TM activities there and hopefully become an active member to give contributions like you guys are doing over here.
Herewith my gratitude firstly goes to Rita Tsui, TM President of 2009-2010 term, because she introduced me this great club which I've found like a home to settle myself, let alone the beneficial parts to personal communication skill and into leadership. Ai-Ai and Michael, you're doing excellent jobs in HKTM, I know for sure the new term will be running very smooth and successful with your endeavors. Keep it up and I can't wait to see the fruits when I'm visiting HK again earlier next year. Changing the topic of Michael's speech the other night, I'd like to say, 'You shoot, you'll score! (I was thinking to change it to 'you cultivate, you harvest', but doesn't sound that powerful, haha~~)
Last but not least, I hope to say thanks to pals like, Paul, Ben, Arthur, Asta, Gilbert, Frances, KY Tan, Andrew, Kenneth, Peter, Diana, Wendy, Philip, Pauline, Eng Wah, Tina, etc... Lots of people I can recognize the face but may not be able to call out your names when we meet. Many of you are very skillful and professional in TM yet still seeking for all possibilities in upgrading yourselves in communication and leadership. You're the role models I admire and aspire to learn from you in all aspects and all the way! Others may be facing the same problem as I do, believe or not, we're growing up all together if we come to TM as much as possible. I hope we can share the fruits between each other when I'm returning HKTM in 2011.
In concluding this blog, I hope to leave you my contact details. In case any of you are visiting Tianjin, please feel free to contact me for any helps. If you're interested, I may also take you to the TM there. =)
All right, you can find me in 'Windows Live Messenger' or 'Facebook' via same account: ste_li@hotmail.com (there's one hyphen on the bottom)
My mobile in Mainland is +86 133 1202 8218
All the best, everyone! I'm still seeing you again on 2nd session of July.
Happy Toastmastering!
No comments:
Post a Comment